Quevedo: Brevity and Nullity (From Spanish)

Brevity and Nullity
(Describing his life's brevity and how the life he has lived seems nothing)
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

 "Is any life home?" Can none answer me? 
"Help!" All my yesteryears are wasted here.  
Fate has chawed off my every day and year,  
my hours gone under in insanity.  
 How powerless, I cannot even see
where or how time and health have fled my gaze.  
My life went missing. Now I just have days 
alive, beset by all catastrophe. 
 The past is gone. Tomorrow never is.  
The now spares not a second on the go. 
I am a Was, a Will, a weary Is.  
 To now, tomorrow and the past I sew
diaper and winding-sheet, remaining this 
succession of deceased and long ago.  

Audio of me reciting this poem in Spanish:


The Original:

Represéntase la brevedad de lo que vive y cuán nada parece lo que se vivió

   ¡Ah de la vida! Nadie me responde?
Aquí de los antaños que he vivido;
la fortuna mis tiempos ha mordido;
las horas mi locura las esconde.
   ¡Que sin poder saber cómo ni adónde,
la salud y la edad se hayan huído!
Falta la vida, asiste lo vivido
y no hay calamidad que no me ronde.
   Ayer se fue, mañana no ha llegado,
hoy se está yendo sin parar un punto;
soy un fue, y un seré y un es cansado.
   En el hoy, y mañana, y ayer, junto
pañales y mortaja, y he quedado
presentes sucesiones de difunto.

No comments:

Post a Comment